Search This Blog

Friday, February 08, 2008

Stealing music

What if me stealing music from you meant I now had the music and you don't?

Stealing a copy of the music does not make a victim of the person the music was stolen from. They've still got the music and so have I now. It only harms the distributor whose profit comes from inability to copy. Oh, and the artist, who doesn't get the skin scrapings the labels leave behind (do you have any idea how vast the profit is on that disc of plastic?)

But if I stole music from you, and therefore you didn't have it anymore, meant you couldn't hear it, then you'd think twice about letting me in.

So how about this DRM method - when you buy a song, you buy one thousand plays, and when a song gets stolen, that's one less play for you.

That's a shit idea, but then so is DRM (probably, I don't give enough of a shit to deeply consider).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you want to say, I'm watching you