Search This Blog

Monday, July 23, 2007

Sad today so fuck off

I wanted to write about On being a man, because I think I have something to say about that: not hunch-shouldered laddish snickering , or creepy beardy bombastard; but confidence and generosity, respect and strength.

Time to reclaim maleness from the cocksure thirty-somethings, the man-boys, the Tory twats, the lax and slack, and the loud and arrogant.

Time to think, and keep what you think to yourself.

Time to retrench to reticence. Time to shut up.

But if it was that time, I wouldn't be writing about it.

Best advice I got from my dad: there's nothing you can't say "fuck off" to.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:55 am

    I saw my thirteen year old son gently lever his eighteen month old neighbor up off the ground after the baby had taken a fairly hard spill. My son was kind and firm; undramatic and of great comfort to the younger boy. I don't know. You made me remember (in the first part of what you wrote about confidence and generosity,respect and strength) how watching the Fox set the world to rights made me feel, and what is so right and good about men.

    That and how fast his childhood has passed. . .


    Imagine

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a fine son right there, a proper man

    ReplyDelete

Say what you want to say, I'm watching you