Search This Blog

Monday, August 03, 2009

On technical writing

I have sublimated my enthusiasm for writing in two entirely different ways in this whole five years gone like an extended fart.

One, in precise technical writing where I functionally specify the ins and outs of diagrams referred to in the preceding pages, to a largely indifferent audience who only require the presence of text.

And I have tested this by occasionally getting poetic when defining the schema for a database, by making the field names scan in iambic meter, or in blank verse acrostic spelling philosophers' names.

On the other hand I have, since 2006, fairly spat away a whole lot of sentences on twitter, all of them finely good in heart and contemporary relevance: diskgrinder twattery.

But all the time I've had these two poles of unpleasance : I've always wanted to write something a little more substantial, something more, something less ephemeral: not a description of process and not a reaction in 140 characters to continuing anomie.

But I didn't have a plot to hang it together.

Now I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you want to say, I'm watching you