Search This Blog

Saturday, September 08, 2007

Railway ghosts

The part of Toswania we're in (in this continuing mission) is called Porto Macio Torneira, which, so I'm told, means port of dead hens, but the over-moustachioed customs guy had a shifty smile when he told me, so I think that's bollocks. Particularly as this city is completely land-locked, and surrounded by the kind of jungle lazy travel writers call impenetrable, and I will therefore call impenetrable.

The airport, on the outskirts, was once a major railway marshalling yard, and there are many abandoned diesel engines rusting in poisonous weeds - iron and vine islands in the flat acres of indifferently maintained concrete.

The air is close packed and humid, like breathing with a hot damp cloth held an inch from your face.

And it smells of pepper, rotting fruit and petrol fumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you want to say, I'm watching you