Search This Blog

Saturday, August 11, 2007

I just found the absence in me, and projected it at a wall

With good friends who chip in occasionally (imagine, I'm thinking of you) the starting point and main point of this blog is lost.

See, I'm a technical director for a large advertising agency and my job is partly to understand the trends and tropes of the interweb (the other part is to swear fulsomely and creatively at people less prima-donna than me), so I know exactly how unread blogs actually are.

The 95% percent rule applies -

  • Most blogs are shit
  • Of the blogs that are not shit, most of the posts therein are shit
  • Of the posts that are not shit, in the blogs that are not shit, most of the content is shit
  • Of the content that is not shit, in the posts that are not shit, in the blogs that are not shit, most of the words are shit
  • And so on, until you achieve the granularity of lexicography and you are assigning 95% of the alphabet to the category "shit" (is "a" more shit than "f"?).

    So when I started writing this blog I had the happy realisation that I was only writing it for me, and it was a stage for reflexive and cheap therapy.

    No more, I've got an audience, this blog isn't the notes to self I imagined: where I could sort of, kind of, publish my inner rubbish, safely in the margins of the great unread.

    So thanks everyone who drops by (and one in particular), there's more of the same to come.

    And if you think it's time to dip out, fair enough, this isn't for you, it's for the future me.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:31 am

    Negative space. What is not there (or not there anymore) that, if you squint your eyes, becomes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a drawing technique - if you draw what's not there, like the space between the legs of the chair, the object just appears on the paper, and much better than if you tried to draw the thing itslef

    ReplyDelete
  3. itslef? that's not a word, I meant to say say slefit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:41 pm

    Yes. Well. Certainly less obvious. Danged British.

    and now, really. off to schedule the jobs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. schedule to your heart's content (mainly blood I imagine)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous1:36 am

    Done and done. They shall run whilst I sleep.

    ReplyDelete

Say what you want to say, I'm watching you