Search This Blog

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Follow up on brutalist architecture

From another contributor, this is the American equivalent of false to materials architecture:

mail.jpg

Made me think of the idea of 'ranch style' houses. What was intended by the original designers was a home in which the outdoors and the indoors are not so seperated. I think I spelled that incorrectly. I shall soldier on.

So, you move seamlessly from indoors to outdoors without having to go downstairs. From that original idea, we ended up with millions of cheap tract houses with no upstairs. Many if not most of them opening up (with sliding glass doors at the back) to pretty much nothing. A grass field about the size of a postage stamp, neatly missing the mark set by the idea-people by about a jillion miles.

And they are absolutely EVERYWHERE, like some kind of a plague.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say what you want to say, I'm watching you