Friday, June 29, 2007

It scans and it (internally) rhymes

Which is good enough.

Picture 1.png

When I was twelve, I read two books: one was Think like a Grandmaster (a chess book); the other was The Elements of Prosody (not a chess book).

The second was the most effective: I know what an iamb is, and how five of them make a pentameter, and I'm crap at chess.

I know scansion, and internal rhyme, where the tension is metered out in rhyme (see what I did there? Very clever, me).

Now I'll try a random string of words, and see if it's blank verse, or the reverse, a self-referential reflection (is there any other kind) of the thing I have in mind, I have started (and, to be honest, there's some tricks going on, right there) and I'll continue, new, without the fix, with a word that has to be there.

Stopped short, where I lost the rhythm, broke on that full stop. Because, I've just realised, I'm a bit crap at this.

According to Poetry Mechanics Weekly, I should end on something obscure, but apparently meaningful. Whether it is meaningful or not isn't important, it's just got to look clever.

Don't mind me, my mind is me.

blog comments powered by Disqus