Search This Blog

Friday, June 15, 2007

I am circumspect about this

When you get into someone's head, you put a little homunculus of yourself in there - a puppet you no longer control. When that voodoo-doll of you starts to separate from the immediate you, that you, yourself, know and love, then that's where the picture breaks. Like you have this self-image that grows with you, but the snapshot in that someone's head doesn't keep up. You're not the person they have in mind; you've gone on, and not in the direction they thought you should. So, now you realise your petty invasion is outdated, but you can't claim any sovereignty over that part of their thinking life - that would be wrong and bad. That's it, they have a starring role in the movie of themselves, and you're a bit-part player.

metaphor mix: clay doll; photograph; movie. There's some development of motion there.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:07 am

    I'm not able to speak to one of my my sisters anymore. She isn't talking to *me* when we did speak. . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like what you did with the place there - the *me* speaks volumes (measured in pints).

    That's what I was trying to get at - your picture of you is technicolor, moving, and in pinsharp focus. Other people's pictures of you are blurry black and white snapshots (sepia daguerrotypes, if you're a good memory).

    You're a frame in a comic strip with the last something you said in a speech bubble.

    Been mixing my metaphors again; got a grammar hangover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:21 pm

    It sometimes helps to recognise the phenomenon, though. I know that I do/have done that same thing to other people. I'm trying to be more awake in my thinking. . . but it's difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing's easy. The Indians found that out when they invented zero.

    Nought ventured, nothing gained.

    Bad philosophy hangover going on here.

    But still (and that's what I am, when not moving) I know where you coming from: brow furrows, lips purse, thought congeals.

    ReplyDelete

Say what you want to say, I'm watching you