Search This Blog

Friday, July 06, 2007

Subtitles

Sometimes I imagine I have subtitles, just below my waist - if it's a midshot. If it's an establishing shot then whoever else is in the frame may have some words too. These would be in a different colour; so you can tell who's saying what (if they're hard of hearing they may say what quite often). The colour will follow that protagonist throughout the show: it's a consistent motif to help the audience. I've been followed by a colour, but I have special moves and I was able to lose the hue at an intersection.

Sometimes I'll be doing something and I'll get crash-zoomed to a close-up of my hands (in general, the agent of the doing). This I can cope with, it's the jump-cuts that are difficult. The intervening time is lost: I have no recollection of the minutes edited out; I don't get to choose the cuts, the editor does not consult me. This can be handy when explaining things to the police, particularly if the plot needs moving forward but some mystery needs preserving.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:34 am

    I *wish* the world had subtitles. Closed caption for the hearing impared would be perfect. Lines floating by as someone speaks, rendering both the text as well as the liner notes of life. 'Birds chirping' and 'mysterious music playing'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely.
    I'd also like 4d glasses, so I can see what's about to happen (if not spectacles, then deja vu contact lenses)

    ReplyDelete

Say what you want to say, I'm watching you